Sunday, May 10, 2009

Happy Mother's Day!

I am lucky enough to have so many strong, beautiful, talented and smart women in my life to love and teach me and to love and teach my children as well. Here are my 3 favorite (in no particular order):



Dianna, thank you for loving me and accepting me in to your family as one of your own. You've always been a shining example to me as a woman of faith. The trials you've endured in your life have made you who you are today and have taught all of us that are lucky enough to know you many a lesson. You are kind and sweet and it's obvious that your kids (and us outlaws) respect you a great deal. I hope you have a wonderful Mother's Day. We are counting down the days till you come this week. Thank you for making such an effort to be with our family.



Grandma, I never knew I would love you like I do. It wasn't until I had kids of my own that I realized what kindred spirits we are me and you. I nearly cried the other day when I got home and heard your voice on my answering machine. I miss you and love you and wish I was lucky enough to have you live close by again. I remember the days of visiting you in Long Beach and knowing we were close to your house when we'd see the Queen Mary. How I loved the gold forks and warm homemade bread and your beautiful china. I miss watching TV on your water bed while you and Mom played Scrabble and walking just a block to the beach with watermelon in a basket and the beach mats you had that we'd put under our over-sized towels. How much of that I took for granted. I hope you have a wonderful Mother's day and I hope you know how much I love you. Thank you for all you do for me and for my family.



And Mom, I could go on forever with the lessons you've taught me. I am starting to understand how lucky I was to grow up in a home with loving parents that made us go to church and taught us to be good and honest. You and Dad were shining examples to us of those things. You are strong and independent and funny and smart. I thought when I grew up and was a Mom that I would be 1) super smart like you and 2) tall. I'm afraid I didn't get either. Being the ticky kid I guess I never had a chance with the second :) I remember you telling me once, "if you're going to steal something it had better be millions of dollars worth of diamonds, and honey, you're not smart enough to steal millions of dollars worth of diamonds." You went on to tell me it wasn't worth being dishonest for a couple dollars or a couple hundred dollars (which at the time seemed like a TON of money!). I'm sure you taught me a bazillion other life lessons like that but that was the one that stuck. Thank you for the years and years of worry about me and loving me and now loving my kids like you do. We hope you have a wonderful Mother's Day. I love you! (and I used this picture because you're proudly wearing the necklace Logan made for you)

1 comment:

Nancy said...

Remember when mom would always tell us that if the bruise was still there, or if the gum never came outta our hair, that she would buy us a diamond? I would spend endless hours pushing on a bruise, hoping that it would stay!