Saturday, September 5, 2009

Happy 88th Birthday Grandma!!!!


88 years old and as healthy as a horse is what her doctor tells her. I love my Grandma Nielson so much and I'm grateful she's still healthy and happy.

I've been lucky to have Grandma living close by my whole life. I have so many memories of driving to Long Beach and spending our days playing in the water and eating watermelon and then walking home and taking naps on her water bed while she made us a yummy dinner complete with warm rolls. We'd eat dinner on her Desert Rose china and gold flatware and then Mom and Grandma would play Scrabble and us kids would play games or watch TV. I remember sitting on the beach and talking about the princess castles out in the water (oil rigs? I still don't know what those are) and the beach mats Grandma had ready for us to use. How lucky I was to have a Grandma that lived across the street from the beach! I had no idea.

The Thanksgivings and Christmas days I can remember always included my Grandma.

Another benefit of being the baby of the family (there are many) was still being at home when Grandma and Grandpa moved in with my family. I think it was my senior year of high school and I didn't realize then how lucky I was to have her just down the hall.

Grandma and I have a special relationship and I'm just so grateful for her in my life. I miss her and wish she still lived down the hall but I can't convince her to move in with me :)

Grandma, I love you forever. Thank you for the wonderful memories and I pray for many many more. I hope you had a wonderful birthday surrounded by family and noisy grandchildren. I'll see you in December!

No comments: