Saturday, September 11, 2010

Other Things happened too

This summer is such a blur of activities. Here are a bunch of random things I'm claiming in my scrapbook happened in June. I can't be sure.

My dear friend Annee that I've known since 9th grade (?) has been living in South Korea for the past couple of years. They're now being transferred to North Carolina and they had a 24 hour layover in Seattle. Lucky Me! I convinced her to spend the day with me and sleep at my house and she promised to try and keep her jet-lagged children under control. They were angels. Can you believe how tough and adventurous Annee is? She didn't even blink an eye at traveling from South Korea to North Carolina with 4 kids and 6 big pieces of luggage (plus everyone had a backpack) by herself. Her husband met up with them eventually but really, 17 hours or something on the plane by yourself? Oh, and I'm pretty sure she did the SAME thing on her way TO Korea. 'cept that time her twin girls were only 3 or 4. She's amazing and I love that we're still friends after all these years.

Logan started (and is excited about!?) starting phase 1 of braces. sigh. She got the expander early this summer. We had to turn it twice a day for 6 weeks or so and she was so good about remembering. She got all dressed up the day she got it. Love this kid. Can't believe she's still growing up.

That's what the expander looks like. It pushes her teeth out on the top since she has a cross bite.

The end of school happened at some point. Logan LOVED Ms. Van Aken. Our school is really into the arts and she had the kids coming after school for an hour, once a week for a few months so they could do a shadow puppet play for us at the end of the year. Logan has her own theater in her closet thanks to this great teacher. I was happy Logan did so well adjusting to a new school this year. I was worried.

She also joined the choir and they did an end of school year performance as well. She got a part singing a verse with 3 other kids and was really proud of herself. Way to go Lo!

Todd's Mom came into town. I was gone this day but they went to Alki beach together. It's a famous spot around these parts but I have yet to go. I love that they thought to take a picture though. You can see the Space Needle in the background.

My knees have hurt me for years but while I was training for my half marathon I couldn't ever get past 6 miles. The pain was unbearable at that point so I decided I may as well get them checked. I ALSO had (still have) a rib that sticks out that I thought the doc could look at as well since I thought the two may be connected. She felt my rib and said, "ya, we're going to need to x-ray that." As long as I was having my knees x-rayed it was no big deal to do that as well. My knees were fine (no arthritis - phew!) but the rib was inconclusive so she sent me in for a bone scan. Bone scans are scary. They were looking for infection or cancer and that's just scary. Todd came with to keep me calm.

Here's the guy giving me the injection. I kept having visions of the title sequence of the Simpsons when Homer is juggling the radioactive material in a can like the one you see here on the table. I didn't love the idea of that being put in my body. The guy said this was the first time he's had his picture taken by a patient. He obviously doesn't do a lot of scans for scrappers I guess :) It came back clean so I guess I just have a sticky outty rib for life. Maybe some yoga would put that thing back in place? It doesn't hurt it's just annoying that it's there.



The 2nd grade did a big "store" at the end of the year. They each made something to sell at the store and then earned money so they could buy each other's things. They had to consider how much it cost to make whatever it was they made and then how much they wanted to sell it for and then had to consider what they wanted to spend their hard earned money on. I thought it was a great lesson for them. They invited all the parents and gave us wads of fake money to spend and the classrooms rotated so they each got a turn to "shop". It was a great experience for the kids and we were happy that Grandma Babbitt got to be in town for it. My kids, obviously, like the food items best.


Paige's Kindergarten teacher, Mr. Mattern, was teaching for his first year and all the kids love love LOVE him. He's a rock star around the school high fiving kids in the cafeteria and dealing with little girls constantly hugging his legs 'cause they have crushes on him. He did a good job for being a newbie. Paige actually got him for first grade too so she couldn't be more thrilled to go to school.


And finally, here's Paige's class after their duck program.They learned a song about ducks and she was super proud of herself :) She technically was supposed to be in morning kindergarten but we decided to put her in the afternoon class that only had 9 other kids when we moved in. Nice right!? Her 2 best friends are on the far right of the bottom row - Holland and Austin. Way to go kindies!

3 comments:

Brynne said...

Our daughters are on the same page with their teeth! My 9-year-old has had a couple rounds of expanders and will now be getting round 1 of braces in a couple weeks, good times!

Annee said...

I'm so excited I made the summer re-cap. Thanks for that fun 24-hour lay over. Best lay over ever. I kind of hate that picture. We all look so exhausted, and it reminds me how hard it is to travel overseas with kids. But we survive, every time:)

Karen said...

Kat I totally know that guy that gave you the injections. I'm pretty sure his name is Graham and he works at Overlake in the Nuc Med department. I'll have to tell him his pictures is now on the internet!