Monday, June 28, 2010

Seattle Rock n' Roll Half Marathon



I had 3 goals for my first half marathon and with only a few weeks of training in my new orthotics only 1 seemed attainable.

Goal #1. Finish.

That's it. Just finish the race without dying. That was the one goal that felt within reach. After lots of pain in both knees, x-rays of my knees and my 12th sticky outy rib, a bone scan of said rib, physical therapy, knee braces and my first set of orthotic inserts I really only had 2 weeks to train for this half marathon. I'd been running 3-4 miles 3 times a week or so long before I had pain in my knees and was able to get a couple of 6 mile runs in with my orthotics before the race but that was it. I knew once I got on the course I wasn't going to walk off, I was going to finish but it wouldn't be my finest moment. Finishing was still better than never trying right?

Goal #2. Run the whole thing.

I had kinda given up on this goal once I realized I wouldn't be able to get more than a couple 6 mile runs in my orthotics before race day. You're supposed to work them in slowly only wearing them an hour a day and then 2 hours. I had to ignore that advice and started running in them immediately. I started with 2 mile runs and then 3 and then 6 and called it good. Would I really be able to run twice as far as I'd EVER run on race day!? Doubtful.

Goal #3. Finish in 2:30.

I don't know if I can call myself a runner. I'm more of a jogger. I average somewhere between 10 and 11 minute miles and the longer I run the closer I get to 12 minute miles. Finishing in 2:30 would be just shy of a 12 minute mile average. When training began this seemed attainable. 2 weeks before the race this seemed impossible.

You know what!? I accomplished all 3. And that's why I'm happy. I finished. I ran the entire time (minus having to walk through the drink station at mile 11 to get a solid drink of Cytomax rather than splashing it in my face while running and drinking at the same time). And I finished in 2:30...and 40 seconds. So technically I missed that goal by 40 seconds. I had forgotten my Garmin at home so didn't know my time or pace throughout the race AND if I saw someone pull out their camera to take a picture of the scenery I took the picture for them so they could be in it. I must've taken a half a dozen pictures for people. Also, whenever I came up on someone without earphones that I could tell was slowing down I'd slow my pace and run with them for awhile. Tell them they're doing good, looking strong, ask them where they're from etc and try to get their mind off the pain. It was good for both of us. So when I think of missing that goal by 40 seconds I feel OK, knowing I would have made it if I didn't talk to anyone during the race, and what's the fun in that?

If you've read all this you deserve some pictures.

Thursday after I picked up Shanna from the airport we headed to the Expo to pick up our goodie bags. It took us a long time to find a place to park and then we had a long, hot walk up and down hills to get to the Expo. I think that counts for our workout for the day! Here's Aubrey and I playing games. I won a beanie baby and a bumper sticker and Logan won a medal :)


Aunt Shanna and Logan and Paige in Pioneer Square. The hanging baskets were gorgeous and the girls really were such good sports about the long, hot walk.


We headed to Microsoft on Friday afternoon to meet Todd for lunch (some fish and chips - good pre-race food?). We had to play on the Surface they have in the lobby. The kids love it and I'm still amazed when I think of where technology was 10 years ago.


Here's Shanna and I at 4:30am about to walk out the door.


The last bus left Seattle (where we parked) at 6am but the race didn't start till 7. We had about an hour and a half to cruise around the starting line before the race started. We ate a bagel, used the bathrooms, sat around and tried to stretch, keep warm and get our nerves under control.


I'm pretty embarrassed by how NOT cute I am in these pictures.

Anyway, one of the reasons I run is for my kids. I want them to be strong and healthy and to enjoy being outdoors and to know that I do something besides being their mom and more than anything to know that no matter how hard the goal may seem they can accomplish anything they set their minds to. So I always race with them (and Todd 'cause I just love him) with me. This time it came in the form of a sharpie tattoo.


FINISHED! Those oranges were heaven. I wish I would've grabbed 10 more before leaving the "secure" area.


Here's Shanna and I all wrapped up in our foil blankets and feeling good. It's so much more fun to finish the race with someone than by yourself. We sat and stretched and walked and talked about the race long after it was all over. I really really (REALLY!) love my sister-in-law. I lucked out big time in the in-law department and Shanna really is my dearest friend. Love you Shanna! Thanks for flying all the way up here for this!


I mean really, look at this girl. This is a self-portrait she took right after she busted out this half in under 2 hours. You rocked it Shanna!


I can't really even describe how much I loved this race. I loved it. I finished with significant pain in my right knee and happy as a clam. I couldn't run it again tomorrow but maybe by Saturday I'd be willing to do it again. Next year for sure. The weather was perfectly overcast the entire race and was around 60 degrees. We ran along some train tracks in the industrial part of Tukwila, through some cute neighborhoods, along Lake Washington, through a tunnel (that was SUPER cool at the beginning but SUPER hot by the end), along the freeway with views of downtown Seattle and finally through downtown Seattle to the finish line. I was worried since I had heard it was really hilly, but the hills weren't too bad. Maybe it was the adrenaline that got me up those hills, or the GU and Cytomax, or the sea level air. All I know is that I loved the race and can't wait to run it again next year. I'm going to have to sign up early since this year it sold out in March. Run for fun? I didn't realize I would actually enjoy running this much but I really do run for fun.

I like to keep my medals hanging up in my bedroom to remind me of how grateful I am for a free country to race in and a strong body to get me through those races.

5 comments:

Laura P Thomas said...

Wow! Congrats Kat, you are my new hero.

Ali and Ty said...

Love this post Kat! I'm proud of you!!!

Shanna said...

Love you Kat! Thanks for being my friend and cheerleader! I love how positive you are, yes I do! Thanks for having fun with me. I need to just copy this and put it in my blog now :)

gina said...

Two of my favorite girls! You guys are awesome! I think Chalyse was there doing the same marathon, I know she was in seattle the same weekend, I think she did a full but I doubt there was two different ones in the same weekend. Congrats on meeting your goals and I miss you. Call me when you are sitting around at home, we are usually here, not much pool time this summer with a little one around.

Annee said...

So happy for you!! I love that you are running for fun. It is fun :)