Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Back to Vegas

Since I missed the family reunion in Junction City I decided to take the girls and fly to Las Vegas for a week to visit with Mom & Dad. Brent & Niki and Paul & Jenna came too so I was super happy to get to see them as well. The girls LOVED flying on the airplane and they were really good for me the whole trip. Here's Logan and Aubrey watching the planes land and take off and waving to the workers below.


Since the seats are only 3 across Logan & Paige sat together and Aubrey and I sat across the aisle from them. I was hoping the flight wouldn't be full so we could have 2 full rows. Good strategy for the way down but on the way home there wasn't a seat left so Aubrey and I sat behind them. That worked too.


The trip started with a little drama but the drama turned out to be a blessing in disguise. See, my Dad was supposed to pick us up from the airport at 9pm. It was still over 100 degrees and the kids were super hungry, super thirsty, super hot and super tired. They rolled around on the nasty sidewalk and Aubrey's binky and blanket had been all over that nasty sidewalk but there was just nothing to do but wait. I think it was 11:30 pm when we finally decided to get a cab home. I loaded Aubrey's car seat into the cab and luckily knew the way home to Mom and Dad's. Why don't cabbies have GPS systems? It's a mystery to me. Anyway, here are the girls when we first arrived and were waiting for Dad. I didn't have my wits about me to take a picture of them an hour later near tears and begging for food.


So what do you do when you've lost your Dad and it's midnight in Las Vegas? I put the kids to bed quickly and then called all the trauma centers in the area (which luckily he wasn't at any) and then called the cops to report a missing person. It was so scary. They had all the patrols out looking for Dad, but Las Vegas is a big place with lots of cars and the odds of them finding Dad seemed slim. A cop came to the house to file the report and asked lots of questions, including if he was suicidal, what meds he was on, any identifying marks and the kicker, do we have dental records for him. I guess those are standard questions but what a reality check that was. Finally around 2:30 am Dad called from a gas station saying he had some tire trouble and needed us to call AAA. Turns out he had been in a couple small accidents (thank goodness not involving any other people or vehicles). The cop that was at the house drove me to the gas station to get Dad and Mom stayed behind with my sleeping kids. It was a long night waiting for a tow truck, and then waiting for another tow truck since it needed to be towed on a flatbed and then driving to the dealership where they'd work on his car a half hour away. The nice tow truck guy drove us home which he said was against the rules and we finally walked in around 5am completely exhausted. The blessing you ask? A few days later Dad got lost again (this time calling after only a couple of hours) and finally decided maybe we were right, he needed to stop driving. None of us wanted to take his keys, and his freedoms away but it had to be done and to have Dad willing to hand his keys over was a major victory.

We spent the next few days at the pool at Mom & Dads...



and Paul & Jenna's hotel where they rode Paul like a dolphin...



and then practiced their flips.


We had a great time hanging out with our cool uncles and cool Aunt and cool cousins.



I like this picture:


but I love this one more.



We were so happy to get to meet Kyden for the first time. What a sweet and adorable baby. Logan loved having the chance to feed him and they all tried to keep him entertained.



Part of the reason for my trip to Vegas was to be able to go with Mom & Dad to Dad's neurologist appointment. Lucky for me my friend Jennie came to the rescue and watched all my kids while I went to that appointment on the whole other side of town. I only got to visit with her and Dave and a few minutes but I'll be eternally grateful for her that day. It really was a blessing to get to be at that appointment.


I also got to visit with Nancy and I haven't seen her for years...since her wedding 3 years ago?! It was fun to catch up and to spend the day in her pool. The girls loved the waterfall and we had a great time together. This picture is taken AFTER our swim so really, it's not great but it's all I got. I'm sure Nancy doesn't appreciate having her picture on the internet when she's 9 months pregnant either! Sorry Nancy. I think you're still beautiful :)



It turned out to be a great trip to Vegas. The girls were ecstatic to see Daddy...especially when he picked us up at the airport in his new Jeep :) Logan cried on the way home because she says she was just so happy to be with Dad again. It felt good to be together again and it felt good to have spent some quality time with Grandma & Papa. Success!

No comments: