Thursday, November 24, 2011

Turkey Day 5k

A few weeks ago Logan asked me if we could run the Turkey Day 5k together.  Ummmm....YES!  I LOVED that she wanted to run it and I hope hope hope we can make it a family tradition.  The whole family came down to cheer her (us) on and even though it was a bit chilly and windy when we first got there it warmed right up and turned into a beautiful morning. 

Todd and the girls played soccer on the fields while Logan and I ran/walked the 3.1 miles.  She was able to run the first half mile and then we walked the next 2 pretty much and ran the last half mile to the finish line where Todd, Paige and Aubrey were cheering.  It was really great.  I loved it.  Logan was glad it was over and I'm hoping she'll forget how miserable it was so I can talk her into doing it again next year.  Maybe Todd will have to run it since the girls will pretty much do ANYthing if it involves him :)  I was super proud of her for pushing herself there at the end so she could finish strong.  What a great kid.

Now I'm home, Lo and I are proudly wearing our race t-shirts and I'm busy cooking our Thanksgiving dinner.  Man alive do I have a lot to be thankful for.    Not only did I grow up in a great family, I married into a great family and I have a great little family of my own.  I feel so lucky to be surrounded by such wonderful people and to have those wonderful people love my kids.  I'm grateful for my Savior  who makes all this possible.  I'm grateful for a strong and healthy body, dear friends near and far and a warm, safe home in beautiful Colorado just a short mile away from Todd's brother and his family. It almost seems silly to go on.  I cry at just about every race.  Something about the national anthem being played as I stand in a mass of people waiting to race that pulls at my heart strings.  I'm so grateful to live in a free country. I just sit here at my computer and look around and feel an overwhelming sense of gratitude for everything.  For the food in the oven, the books on the bookshelves (how great to be able to read!), my girls playing together and practicing their handstands and back bends to be ready for gymnastics tomorrow, a table set with my Grandma's china, my nice camera and my scrapbooks, my computer, my furniture, the scriptures, my Garmin.  What a beautiful life this is and what a fantastic time to be alive.  Todd and I watched True Grit the other night and I remember thinking the whole time, "Man am I glad to be living now instead of then!"  I love my life.  I'm humbled by it.  I'm happy and when I'm not I know I'm just acting spoiled.  Todd and I both love Louis Armstrong and it's hard to not hear his scratchy voice singing, "what a wonderful world" over and over in my head.   It is.  It is a wonderful world.

Anyway, I got on here to show you a few pictures from the race this morning and instead I've rambled on and on.  Happy Thanksgiving!


p.s. We had a fun Thanksgiving dinner together and Logan started a new tradition for us.  Instead of doing our normal "sweet and sours" at dinner each person went around and said why they love each member of their family.  It was sweet and good and I want to remember so we'll do it next year.

2 comments:

Brynne said...

Kat, I LOVED this! You are such a beautiful person. I loved all that you are grateful for and am so glad you got to run a race with your daughter today. We do that at our house too and I love it. Happy Thanksgiving!

Karen said...

Logan looks like a teenager in that first picture! Glad you two got to run a race together.

Happy Thanksgiving!!