
It's been a long, trying week again. It started out last Tuesday with a call from my Mom. I think she just called to say hi, but I could hear the worry in her voice or maybe it was just that the tears were close to the surface that day. Either way I worried. She had said that Dad had some more dr.'s appointments the next day and she'd call if there was anything noteworthy. Eventually I found out that my Dad who hasn't felt good for what, 5 years now? was admitted to the hospital for blood clots. He's been in since last Wednesday, a week tomorrow and we're hoping he's out by Saturday when the girls and I fly down - the last ones in town for a family reunion. Right now he's in the telementry unit and when I talked to him today he thought they'd put him in a regular hospital room for a few days before releasing him. It just breaks my heart. It's not what I wanted for my parents when they retired. I selfishly looked forward to having them visit at least monthly but also was excited they'd have enough down time to relax and do whatever it is they wanted to do. Instead they deal with health problems. It's a strange thing to watch your parents get old. I'm not ready for it. I still feel like a little girl that needs their help and wisdom. Get better quick Dad. I love you. And hang in there Mom. You're a stronger woman than I'll ever be.
We'll have a fun trip though and it feels like good timing. We'll get some organizing done and some projects finished and take lots of naps and watch lots of sports - good thing it's the olympic trials since I can actually stand to have those on. It's been tricky trying to pack for this trip since I'm allowed one checked bag per ticket and one carry-on and then will be charged $25 for each additional checked luggage. I'm traveling with 3 kids which means 3 car seats, a stroller, a port-a-crib, and a lot of clothes and food and toys. Luckily my Mom asked the RS sisters if she could borrow a crib and Nancy is bringing an extra car seat she had. I think we'll pull this off afterall. Viva Las Vegas!
3 comments:
Hey,
I hope you are okay. I thought about you the other day while I was missing my mom and finally understood why you always said you wanted your parents! I don't remember missing mine like that before when we lived away. Keep me posted, and have a fun visit!
Hey, I hope your dad is doing better. Getting old stinks! It is hard watching your parents have health problems and being so far away. I have never been close to home. Have a great trip and enjoy your family.
Oh, Kathryn that makes me so sad. Your Dad is such a great man. And your mom is amazing, of course. We are thinking of you guys. I hope you have a fun trip and get to spend some fun time with your parents. By the way, carseats are free. I just found that out!
Post a Comment