Tuesday, June 3, 2008

Special Olympics

This is my 3rd year taking the youth to Special Olympics and each year I moan and groan over the 1 1/2 hour drive and all day commitment but in the end I always feel lucky to have had the to chance to volunteer.
The youth LOVE it and are always on board to go and we always have a good turn-out and I'm always impressed with what great youth they are. They're good kids that need very little supervision. They're willing to work hard and when there's nothing to do they hang out without getting in trouble. It's a long day in the sun but there's just something neat about it. I don't really know what it is. Maybe it's because the athletes are such sweet spirits. They're always smiling and happy and playful and they're so proud of their accomplishments and they're so happy to sit and talk with you or dance with you.Or maybe it's watching the youth (my youth) be such great examples. Or maybe it's just being away from the norm for the day. Whatever it is I love it.

No comments: