Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Logan and School



Sigh. My heart still breaks when I drop her off at school each morning. I admit that I enjoy only having 2 at home but I'm surprised how long the day feels. I don't know why it's so hard to drop her off. I guess I feel like I'm sending her to the wolves like to the mean girl who told her her hair was hideous (it was SO cute...like Gretl on The Sound of Music) or the little girl that questioned why she was playing with the other Logan who's a boy. Her responses were: "it keeps it off my neck so I'm not so hot" and "not only girls have to play with girls and boys play with boys". I'm sure she said both with a hand on one hip and rolling her eyes and I was proud of her, but I still ache thinking somewhere deep down those comments hurt. Sigh.



Her friend Abby lives across the street from the school so the two of them meet after school and then walk to Abby's together where I pick her up. I'm near tears with how cute the two of them are together walking home from school with their over sized backpacks. I like to get there early, sit and read for 10 minutes while I wait and then watch them walk together. Today as they were walking they were doing those hand clapping games - whatever you call those. The one she's knows is something about Tic Tac Toe. Sigh.







Last week she was invited to a birthday party at a gym. She had a ton of fun and was so excited about gymnastics that she's been begging for me to sign her up. I've been putting it off since I don't want another monthly bill and she's continued to beg. Finally one morning before school she was asking again and telling me how I'd broken my promise. We got into this big talk about it and I find out that she thinks that if she's in gymnastics she won't have to go to school anymore. She started crying when I told her she has to go to school but that she could go to gymnastics after school some days. Sigh.

I love this kid. I love her more than I knew possible - far more than I knew possible. I want to protect her but I also want her to experience life. More than anything I want her to be happy and know she's a daughter of God - and what that means. Sigh.

p.s notice in that first picture that her big front tooth is coming in weird. It's coming in fast but not pushing the other tooth out. Any suggestions on that? I guess I need to take her to the dentist...or orthodontist. Sigh.

2 comments:

amberd. said...

Uhm. Your making me cry. Stop that!

Letting kids grow up is hard huh? Down right stinks somedays. It'll get better. Just wait until all the little best girlie friends start getting into fights and then they turn on each other in groups and are so super cruel and mean. It's hard not to be the mean Mommy who sticks up for their kid. Somedays you just wanna ring the necks of the mean girls!!!

Your children are absolutely remarkably cute. You are a fabulous Mother. Keep up the good work!

Katie L. said...

She is so cute, but I'm sad because Camille should be in those pictures!