
A.K.A. learning to swim and ride a bike well enough in the next 6 weeks to compete in a triathlon
A.K.A. who's hair brained idea was this?
This is completely boring so don't even bother - hey, it's my journal so back off.
Last week Keri talked me into doing a triathlon with her. In my secretest of secrets I've always wanted to do a triathlon because honestly, I can't think of anything more challenging for me.
I don't mind running. I'm not great at it but I've always had to do it to stay in shape so it's part of my life.
On the other hand I don't know how to swim OR bike. I can tread water with the best of them and I don't have any fear of swimming, in fact I LOVE water. I need water. A river, a lake, the ocean, the pool it doesn't matter. But I've never in my whole life that I can remember done laps - until Wednesday. I swam a half-mile on Wednesday and that's about what I need for the tri. I had bad form and I'm slow but at least I could do it. I was hopeful about this triathlon thing.
I jumped on the treadmill the next day and ran 3 1/2 miles (a little longer than the 5k I need) without much effort. Again, I'm slow but I also ran for 40 minutes without thinking twice. Maybe I'm in better shape than I give myself credit for? Maybe BuffChix is just that awesome of a class?
THEN, I went for my first bike ride (ever?! I remember once in Oregon riding bikes. I think I was 12?) I was HORRIBLE! I only made it about 5 miles and the bike for the tri is 13.9. Nice. I can hardly believe how bad of a bike rider I am. I am SORE and disheartened. I guess it's good to know that I need to practice my bike the most, then swimming and then running. I think one of the hardest things will be going from the bike to the swim. My legs were toast after my 5 miles, I can't imagine starting to run at that point. sigh.
I signed up today though and I'm jazzed. Keri and I are headed to the pool in a couple hours and since she's an expert swimmer so she'll give me some tips to help me out. I'll take anything I can get.
5 comments:
You better post pictures of you two buff chicks during your triathalon. I'm so proud of you, I don't think I'd dare. I'm still working up to 5k. Pathetic.
Good for you! You are crazy, but a good crazy! Ron Mackay is the biking guru....a good bike makes a big difference so he says! Ask him for tips!
I'm so proud Kat! That is so cool. I have a few freinds trying to talk me into the sprints as well. Fo real! I'm like...uh. I tried to get on my friends speed bike and I was soooo scared of it! I'll pass on the Triaths....HOWEVER....I do love the relay races. I haven't actually gotten to do one yet because I broke my foot training for it. But I worked up to a ten mile run in less than a 3 month time period...so I was pretty dang proud. I love to run. I just got the go ahead to run last week from my doctor but I'm limited to only 4miles a week which sucks. But it's something right?
Wow! Keep us all up to date on your training! You're awesome! When your ready to run an all night relay race that is actually a big giant PARTY let me know! Here is the link to check it out! I'm planning on the utah run for sure next June. But my goal is to run them all!
http://www.ragnarrelay.com/
Dang that is impressive!! Keep up the good work!!
I am so excited for us to do this...not scared at all, really, I'm not. (did that sound convincing?) You're going to kick some butt!
Post a Comment