Keri, Dave, their 2 girls and me and my 2 girls headed down to Colorado Springs on Friday night so Keri and I could pick up our packets and get our numbers. We did that and then drove the bike route. By then the kids were starving and it was getting late so we drove to Chicago One for some take-out. Take-out not so fast on a Friday night. Nearly an hour later we got our food and took it back to the hotel to shove it in our mouths and get the kids to bed. I think we learned a valuable lesson for next time - leave earlier and call ahead for take-out (and not from Chicago One).
Todd's flight from Las Vegas landed around 10pm so he didn't get to CS until just before Midnight. I was sound asleep but I do remember waking up and saying, "Hi Babe!" and then crashing until 5am when Paige was moaning and was at the end of the bed without any covers on. Poor Todd had no idea what the plan was but luckily Dave did so I left them all at 6:45am while they were still sleeping (minus Logan who was already watching cartoons).
Keri and I had fun being nervous together and getting our transition spots all set up, listening to the National Anthem and watching the first swimmers start at 8am. I thought it was neat to be at the Air Force Academy listening to the National Anthem surrounded by men and women willingly serving their country - Keri was annoyed to have to stand still for 2 minutes. I cry and she laughs at me. Here we are setting up our stuff at the transition area.

The way this swim worked was that they started with the slowest swimmer first (#11) and gave him a 25 Meter head start and then sent #12 - the second slowest in the race. Even though I knew going into this that I was faster than 66 other people I still didn't believe it until I watched the first handful of swimmers swim. I knew then that I was ready and would do fine.
The boys and the kids showed up and we got to talk to them for awhile before the swim. I was number 77 and was supposed to swim at 9:11:08 but at some point (30 minutes early?!) I hear them call number 71. 71! I'm supposed to swim in 6 people! I haven't warmed up I don't have my ChampionChip. Ahhh! I throw my clothes off and give them to Keri and run to the starting point. I ask the girl if I can do a warm-up lap, which she lets me and then I jump in the water to start. It was a crazy start and I was flustered for sure but I had a good swim. At one point my throat did the weird thing it does when I yawn where I have to swallow this lump and then it doesn't hurt anymore. I had to swim nearly an entire length of the pool like that. When I got to the end I swallowed how I need to and it was gone. Bad timing on that. 6 weeks ago I did my first swim at the Rec Center in a 16 yard pool and could only do one lap of freestyle and then I'd have to switch to Breaststroke or something to catch my breath. 750 Meters in that pool is 42 laps. Today, I swam 750 Meters in an Olympic size pool doing freestyle the whole time. I couldn't be more proud of myself for that alone. This is me smiling at Todd and the girls on the last leg of my swim.

I could hear and see Todd and the girls yelling for me and taking tons of pictures.

I was surprised at how much it meant to me to have them there. It was fun to get out of the pool and wave to them as I ran to my first transition area to get ready for the bike ride - the dreaded bike ride. The first little bit is barely a hill and I was struggling. I think I was in my lowest gears in the first 5 minutes of the ride. This was NOT good. I got up the first big hill though and then it was down-hill, flat or just slight uphill for a long time - maybe 4 or 5 miles. Then came the dreaded miles 8-11. Well, 8-11 was supposed to be killer but I think it was really more like 7-13. In those 5 or 6 miles we climbed from 6500 ft to 7300 ft. It was killer. Absolute killer. Just-keep-moving-your-legs-because-you-can't-downshift-any-more killer.
If you've ever been to or seen the Air Force Academy you know it's in the mountains and we were biking to the top. Here's a picture of the stadium. Maybe that will give you a better idea.

Once I was near the top I looked around and it was just so stinkin beautiful and quiet and I was grateful for the first time that they don't allow ipods. It was neat to get to see what felt like all of Colorado Springs from the top of a huge mountain you just rode up. I thought the worst was done at that point since I was headed downhill now, but that didn't last. One more huge hill and then I should be done. That hill was hard but then it was a fun ride down to the end...well almost the end. You think it's the end but it's not. Now that you're on campus you have one more steep hill to climb. That climb and the first mile of the run were the hardest parts of the whole triathlon. I was grateful for all the volunteers and spectators standing along that last hill yelling for me to keep pushing it. It's hard to wimp out when everyone is watching and clapping and yelling, so I did push through it. I nearly fell getting off my bike since my legs were jello. They were shot. I had nothing left to give.
I put my bike back on the rack and geared up for the run. It's hard to describe the crazy feeling of running when your legs are shot from the bike. It's nearly impossible to move. The first hill was super steep, short but steep and I had to walk up that. Oh well. The run in and of itself wasn't too hard but it's just SO hard to run when your body is done exercising for the day. It took every ounce of will power to keep running. It was fun to end in a stadium and do a lap to finish like they do in the Olympics. The last 100 meters is hard but then again, you have all these people watching and cheering and you just have to keep going. Everyone was there to greet me at the end. Got some water, hugged the kids, kissed the husband and was ready to get back to the hotel for a shower.

Here we are back at the hotel.

I showered quickly and then we went to Schlotzsky's for lunch. Todd was making fun of me for how quickly I ate my entire sandwich. I was hungry! We had an hour drive home in 2 cars which was a bummer but here I am and I'm happy. Can't believe it's over. Can't believe I did it. Todd said he'll do it with me next year. Yippee!
They haven't posted the results yet so you'll have to stay tuned for them I guess. Pretty sure I wasn't last.
5 comments:
Congratulations!!! That is so cool and I am so impressed! You Rock Girl!!!
See you did great(told you so)! I'm so proud of you for doing it! All that buff chix paid off
Kat, I am beyond proud of you!! Good job, you did amazing!! I can't tell you how much fun it was to do this with you! Thanks!
Kat, I am so proud of you! Brett does triatholns and I know it is hard. I would love to do one but I am scared of the swim. I guess I need to get over it and do it. Good for you!
I am proud of you too! I totally love you, have I mentioned that lately? I wish I could have been there to cheer you on! I'll have to settle for a big hug this weekend!
Post a Comment