
I survived it, but I also feel a little defeated by it. Rattlesnake was my first open water swim as well as my first Olympic triathlon so ultimately, survival was my main goal but I was also hoping to do it under 3:45. It took me just under 4:00 - which is why I feel defeated.
Keri, her husband Dave, her friend Jason and I carpooled together at got to transition at 5:30 am when it opened. Keri and I like to get there early and set up and run around, use the bathroom and get excited before the race starts. We got our numbers, checked out the course, warmed up in the water and watched the professionals swim for a bit before it was our turn.
Here we are in transition around sunrise.

Keri, Jason and I trying to figure out the swim course before the race.

Keri and I in the chute waiting to swim (that's me waving).

I felt really good about my swim. It wasn't near as hard as I had been anticipating...just kinda long. Since they had ropes set up I just made sure to keep the rope on my right so I didn't have to spot much. The course was about 375 meters to the buoy, then 375 back to the beach where you exited the water, ran around some cones and got back in the water on the same path. The same 375 meters to the buoy and then 375 or so meters to the finish beach for a total of about a mile. It was strange to breathe on the right and see people swimming the opposite direction and then breathe on the left to see people spread out really far. I was happy for the rope though and felt like I had a good swim. It took me 38 minutes.

Getting out of the water was a different story though. I was shaking. I don't know if I just needed to get my sea legs under me or if I was dehydrated but I was shaking big time. I took my time in transition, drank some Cytomax, took a deep breath and got on my bike.

About a mile into the bike I threw up. I spit it onto the road (mostly on my shirt sleeve) and drank some Cytomax to get that taste out of my mouth. After that I felt pretty good and had a good bike ride even though we had a serious head wind for half of it and my left calf cramped up big time at the half way point. I did as well as I think I could have for both my swim and bike and was still enjoying myself.
Then came the run.

I'm smiling here but it's only because I was 20 feet from the finish line. The run was what defeated me. I was toast. Completely out of energy. I pushed through that first mile knowing it's always hard to run after the bike but by mile 2 I was done. I didn't want to race any more. I was so tired and so hot and I was just OVER IT. I ended up having to walk probably 50% of the run which just bugs me. I hated it. I hated that I had to walk and I hated that I hated the race. At that point I pushed myself as hard as I could and finished. Once I could hear and see the finish line I did a celebratory split leap and almost hit the floor forgetting I couldn't point my toes without cramping up. I guess it's instinct to point your toes when you split leap. I hobbled across the finish line and collapsed on the grass with my friends who had finished long before me and had themselves a plate of food. They tossed me a water bottle and some fruit and we talked about our races and went home not wanting to wait for the medal ceremonies since none of us would place anyway.
I made Keri take a picture at the finish line before we left even though she was sick to her stomach and nursing her IT band. I love that Keri. She's my tri buddy for life and the toughest girl I know. And she's a sucker so if I ever sign up for a race I can be quite certain she'll sign up too.

I'm glad to be done and it only took a day before I was dreaming of my next race. I accomplished a couple of big goals (Olympic distance and open water) and honestly, had a fun time. I got a super cool bag too. Oh, and a lame-o necklace.
9 comments:
Really impressive.... really impressive.
WOW! I can't believe you went for Olympic! You are an animal!
You are totally my hero. I think you're amazing to do an Olympic tri. And still smiling at the end. I'd say we should do one together, but you'd toast me.
That's the great thing. Keri kicks my trash every time but it's ok. It's an individual race that you race together. The people that win medals are better than I'll EVER be so honestly, you're not trying to win you're just doing your best and it's FUN!!!!
Wow, that's absolutely amazing!!! I am so impressed... There is NO WAY that I will ever do anything like that!!! CONGRATS)
I think I'm super cool that you're my friend, and you're freakin' amazing! I love that I could never do that, but I love seeing how much you love it.
Kat, I am so impressed with your amazing finish!! You forgot to mention that you were completely SICK for this race, and had been for 3 weeks prior to the race. The fact that you even showed up shows how tough you are! I am so glad you do these crazy things with me. What would I do without you? :)
What were you thinking pointing your toes? Still a cheerleader at heart? Good job - you should be proud of yourself!
Kat you and Keri Rock! You are awesome! I mean AWESOME!
Post a Comment