Tuesday, December 22, 2009

Weekend in Utah



I got to fly down to Utah last weekend for a quick, fun-filled trip. I got in late Friday night and sat and talked with my Grandma till midnight. By 5 am we were up and getting ready to head to the Salt Lake temple so I could do my Aunt Shary's work. I was born on her birthday and she was my Dad's only sister. She died young from diabetes and I was honored to get to do some of her temple work for her. I cried all morning long. I think I cry every time I go to the temple anyway but seeing everyone in white AND being where the spirit is strong AND to be there with my Grandma, IN the Salt Lake temple that has so much history AND doing my Aunt's work was just too much for me. It was wonderful and perfect.



I dropped Grandma off at her place and ran to Keiths real quick to visit with my cousin Tucker and his cute wife Alysha. I love them! I wished I could stay and chat all weekend long with my little cousin who's a man now!



I spent just about 15 minutes with them and then hurried to Ali's pre-wedding brunch - the whole reason I flew into town. I had Ali for 2 years when she was a Mia Maid and I was the 1st counselor in the YW presidency. Right about the time Ali turned 16 they made me the YW President meaning I'd have her for another 2 years. Good thing I loved that group of girls 'cause 4 years is a long time with the same girls! I can't tell you how happy I was to get to be in the temple for Ali's sealing. It was just beautiful and I'm really really proud of her for the decisions she's made in her life to get her to this point. I just love this girl. I've always had a special little place in my heart for her and to get to see her being such a grown up just makes me smile. I love you Ali!!!



Since I had to leave early Sunday morning I went home after her sealing and spent the evening with my Grandma, Uncle Keith, Aunt Susie and my sister Nancy and her kids. We ordered pizza, Nancy made a salad and we sat around and caught up. I have such a great family! It was so fun to sit and talk with them and of course Keith brought out the chocolate ice cream for us. We just giggled when he asked if we'd want chocolate syrup on our chocolate ice cream. Of course we do!



I spent another night on my Grandma's floor and then headed to the airport in the morning. Do you know that I love airports? I LOVE them! I like to be extra early (turns out my Dad and sister Nancy are just like me and we get there with hours to spare) and take my time people watching and eating and reading magazines. There's something about the hustle and bustle that just makes me happy. I told my Mom when I got to Salt Lake that I was walking around expecting to see someone I knew. I was in Utah...shouldn't I know SOMEONE? I didn't see anyone I knew when I got there but sitting and waiting for my plane to Seattle I ran into my friend from my new ward. She had spent the weekend in Ogden with her Mom and was on the same flight home as me. We sat and talked and the hour we had left at that point flew by. It was nice to get to know her better. She's great.

It's always great to come home and have kids that run up and hug you. They talked at me for the next 2 hours - until I thought my head would explode. They had a fun weekend with Daddy and had lots of stories to tell me. Thank you Todd for being so easy going about me leaving town and thanks to Ali for letting me be a part of her wonderful day and to Grandma for spending the weekend with me and letting me sleep on her floor. I love you all!

3 comments:

Dean & Judy said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Julie said...

Thanks again for coming Kat! Keep in touch with her. She loves you too!

Jeanne Stricklin said...

Sounds like a GREAT weekend. you made some special memories. Pretty cool.